Perfect Shepherd's Pie
Looking for some main dish pie recipes? This Perfect Shepherd's Pie will certainly fit the bill. This fully loaded pie will surely hit the spot.
Cooking Time45 min
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried sage
- 2/3 cup beef broth
- 8 medium baked potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt, pepper and paprika to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Saute onion and garlic in butter or margarine until tender. Add ground beef and saute, breaking up the meat, until browned.
- Stir in carrots, tomato paste, parsley, thyme and sage. Add beef broth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer gently 30 minutes.
- Spoon into well-greased 8" square baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over the beef mixture.
- Mix cheeses and sprinkle on top of mashed potatoes.
- Bake 10 - 15 minutes at 375 degrees F until cheeses are melted and top is golden brown.
Read NextSausage Rolls (Australian Style)