Rhode Island Style Hot Wiener Sauce
This recipe for Rhode Island-style hot wiener sauce requires a food processor and includes an array of ingredients like green pepper, nutmeg, paprika and sugar. This hot dog chili recipe is good enough to serve at a backyard barbecue or other summer even
Cooking Time3 hr
- 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 4 ounces bacon, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1/2 large green pepper, minced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 can (6-ounce) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- Process the ground beef in a food processor until very fine; set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a heavy skillet or Dutch oven until crisp.
- Add the onion, green pepper and garlic; saute until tender and light brown.
- Add the ground beef.; cook until crumbly, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the nutmeg, paprika, sugar, tomato paste and water; Cook over low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cool and store in airtight containers in the freezer.
- Serve on grilled or fried hot dogs in New England-style (topsliced) hot-dog buns.