Roasted Bell Pepper, Basil and Fontina Sandwiches
Modern grilled cheese sandwich recipes are all about experimentation! Try this baked version that substitutes Fontina cheese for American and adds Italian aromas with roasted peppers and fresh basil.
Cooking Time15 min
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 24 1/4-inch thick slices French or Italian bread baguettes
- 1/2 pound Fontina or provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers in oil, rinsed and drained
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix oil with pressed garlic in a small bowl. Lightly brush a nonstick baking sheet with oil mixture.
- Place half of bread slices on baking sheet. Press half of cheese over bread slices.
- Top with roasted peppers, then rest of cheese. Cover each sandwich with a basil leaf and top with remaining bread.
- Bake sandwiches for 10 minutes at 425 degrees F, then flip, return to oven and bake 5 minutes more. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Read NextClassic Patty Melt