All American Cobb Salad
The Cobb Salad is as American as apple pie or macaroni and cheese. Made by Bob Cobb in 1937, it has made it's way onto picnic and dinner tables across the country. Add this classic salad recipe to your barbeque and treat your family to a piece of Americana.
- 6 1/2 cups romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- 2 1/2 cups torn curly endvine
- 4 ounces watercress
- 1 cup cooked ham pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, sliced and chopped
- 3 cooked hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 whole chicken breast, cooked, boned, skinned and diced
- 1/2 cup slices bacon, cooked and diced or bacon bits
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- 1/2 cup Roquefort cheese or blue cheese, crumbled
- For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the Salad:
Chop watercress, endive and romaine in very fine pieces using a knife or a food processor. Mix chopped ingredients together in one large wide bowl, or in individual wide shallow bowls. Add chives. Arrange tomatoes, chicken, bacon, avocado and eggs in narrow strips or wedges across top of greens. Sprinkle with cheese. Chill.
At serving time, toss with dressing.
For the Dressing:
In a blender add all of the ingredients except the oils. While processing, gradually add canola oil and olive oil. Chill when done.
Read NextEasy Macaroni Salad Recipe