24 Hour Vegetable Salad
Throw together a quick salad and refrigerate for up to 24 hours for the best taste! This filling, versatile salad is loaded with meat and vegetables.
- 4 cups torn iceberg lettuce, romaine, spinach, leaf lettuce, and/or Bibb lettuce
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, broccoli florets, and/or frozen peas
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dillweed, optional
- Place lettuce in a 3-quart salad bowl.
- If desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Layer atop lettuce in the following order: mushrooms, broccoli, and/or peas, carrots, eggs, bacon, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and green onions.
- For dressing: In small bowl, combine the mayonnaise or salad dressing, lemon juice, and if desired, dillweed.
- Spread dressing over top of salad.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Before serving, toss to coat vegetables.