Alice's Date Nut Bread
This easy, tasty date nut bread is the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea for an evening snack, or with a salad and some cottage cheese for a light lunch. Of course, it's also wonderful toasted for breakfast with a little bit of butter spread on. Yum!
Cooking Time1 hr
- 8 ounces pitted dates
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 1/4 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Cut dates into small pieces. Pour boiling water over dates. Add butter and brown sugar.
- Cool this mixture. Beat in eggs and nuts.
- Sift together dry ingredients and stir into date mixture. Do not beat.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake in 350 degree oven for 60 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes then turn out of pan. Wrap in aluminum foil for better storage.
Read NextCheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread