Cucumber Hot Dog Relish
With seven large cucumbers, five large onions, three cups of sugar and a pepper, this hot dog relish recipe is sure to please a party full of hot dog lovers. Dress up plain hot dogs and even hamburgers with this rich relish packed full of flavor.
- Sometimes I add the flour at the end, to thicken to desired consistency.
- 7 whole large cucumbers, peeled (leave some peel for color)
- 5 large onions
- 1 red pepper
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Put through food processor cucumbers, onions and pepper; sprinkle with 1 tbsp coarse salt and let stand for 1 hour; drain thoroughly.
- Combine sugar, turmeric, mustard, celery seed, ginger, flour and cayenne.; add dry ingredients to 3 cups vinegar and 1 cup water.
- Cook slowly until thickened. then add cucumber mixture and cook gently 10 or 15 minutes.
- Stir constantly so mixture doesn't burn.
- Bottle in sterile jars and seal; place in boiling water bath and process for 10 mins.
- Makes 8-9 pints.