Apple and Raisin Cake
Home preserving recipes can be full of sweetness, as this easy apples recipe shows. Combine apples with raisins and other ingredients to make a delicious cake recipe that fits perfectly in a jar.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups apples, grated
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup nuts, chopped
- Mix the ingredients together in the order given.
- Sterilize 7 to 9 wide mouth pint jars and lids. Grease them with shortning.
- Fill the jars half full and bake on the middle wire wire rack in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 325 degrees F.
- As soon as the cake is done, remove the bottles from the oven one at a time. Wipe the rim of the bottle clean with cloth and put on the hot sterilized lids.
- Screw down the bands and let cool.
- Important-- do not use small mouth jars. do not add any other ingredients.
- As the cake cools in the sealed jar, it will pull away from the sides of the jar and come out easily when ready to serve.