Zimne Nogi (galaretta/studzienina)
- Split pig's feet length-wise (by butcher), clean/wash carefully
- and singe quickly on gas stove burners to remove any stray hairs.
- Place in salted water with veal shanks. Bring to boil, then drain
- water, rinse feet and shanks, replace in pot with fresh salted
- water to cover. Add onion, garlic, bay leaves, whole allspice and
- black pepper. Bring to boil again then reduce heat and let simmer
- for hours (until meat is so tender it falls from bones).
Traditional Christmas and Easter dish. Remove from heat. Remove meat to platter and let cool. When cool enough to handle, remove meat/skin cut in small pieces, and place in shallow pan. Strain cooking liquid. Bring clear liquid back to boil for few minutes, then pour over meat in pan. Let cool to room temperature then refrigerate overnight. Fat will form on surface, scrape before serving in slices, chunks, etc. Slice onnion thinly on top, sprinkle with cider vinegar, and accompany with slices of good Polish or pumpernickle rye bread.
Read Next11 Delicious Polish Recipes