Pizza seems to be a dish that's universally loved, and it's a great way to sneak in some extra veggies when the kids aren't looking. Top this one with eggplant and artichoke hearts for wonderful flavor...just don't tell the kids it's good for them!
Cooking Time20 min
- 1 package active dry or fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 cup warm water (105 to 115F degrees)
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated fontina cheese
- 2 cups (about 1/2 pound) sliced fresh artichoke hearts, cooked
- 2 cups (about 5 ounces) sliced eggplant, grilled or sauteed
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and honey in 1/4 cup of the warm water.
- In a mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour and salt.
- Pour in 2 tablespoons of the oil and when absorbed, scrape in the dissolved yeast.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of water and knead on low speed about 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto a board and knead 2 or 3 minutes longer. Dough should be smooth and firm.
- Let rise in a warm spot, covered with a damp towel, about 30 minutes. (Dough will stretch when lightly pulled).
- Divide the dough into 4 balls, about 6 ounces each.
- Work each ball by pulling down the sides and tucking under the bottom of the ball. Repeat 4 or 5 times.
- Then on a smooth unfloured surface, roll the ball under the palm of your hand until the dough is smooth and firm, about 1 minute.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rest 15 to 20 minutes. At this point, the balls can be loosely covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for 1 to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 525F degrees. Place a pizza stone in the oven.
- Sauté the eggplant and mushrooms separately, each in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Use more oil if necessary.
- Place a ball of dough on a lightly floured surface. Press down on the center, spreading the dough, or roll into a 7 or 8 inch circle, with the outer border a little thicker than the inner circle.
- Brush lightly with oil and arrange the topping of your choice only over the inner circle.
- Arrange ingredients on the pizza dough in the order listed above.
- Arrange the pizza on a baking stone and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pizzas are nicely browned.
- Transfer to a firm surface and cut into slices with a pizza cutter.
Read NextCrescent Rolls Pizza Pockets