Vintage Sweet Blueberry Grunt
Looking for old fashioned desserts, the kind that grandma used to make? This Vintage Sweet Blueberry Grunt will surely bring back those warm memories. It's such a simple dessert to make and tastes wonderful. Added bonus, it's budget friendly.
Cooking Time25 min
- 1 pound blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup light cream (or half and half)
For the crust:
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add to flour, working it in with your fingertips until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the cream until the mixture forms a soft dough. If too stiff, add a little milk; set aside.
- Put the berries, sugar, allspice, lemon juice, rind and syrup in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Drop tablespoonfuls of dough mixture over the blueberry mixture (in the saucepan) so that it is completely covered.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes or until the topping is puffed and browned.