Tasty Baked Donuts
Who doesn't love a great donut? Now instead of picking them up from the bakery, you can make at home. This recipe for tasty baked donuts will deliver a delicious treat perfect for breakfast (or dessert!). This recipe makes 2 dozen donuts.
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup sugar mixed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water in a small bowl and let it dissolve for 5 minutes.
- Put the milk and shortening in a saucepan and heat until the shortening is melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- Pour the yeast mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the milk mix.
- Stif in the 1/4 cup sugar, salt, nutmeg, eggs and 2 cups flour.
- Beat briskly until well blended. Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups flour and beat until smooth. Cover the bowl and let double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Dust a board generously with flour and turn the dough mass onto it. This dough is soft and needs enough flour on the board to prevent sticking, but is easy to handle.
- Pat the dough into a round about 1/2 inch thick. Use a 3 inch doughnut cutter and cut out the doughnuts, placing them (and the doughnut holes) on greased baking sheets, 1 inch apart. These don't spread much; they rise.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Let the doughnuts rest and rise for 20 minutes uncovered. Bake about 10 minutes or a little longer, until they have a touch of golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Have ready the melted butter and a brush.
- On a sheet of wax paper, spread the cinnamon sugar. Brush each doughnut and doughnut hole with butter and roll in the cinnamon sugar. Serve hot.