Simple Fresh Tomato Sauce
There really is nothing as delightful as a simple fresh tomato sauce. Fresh tomato recipes are perfect for perking up your pasta, adding to meatloaf recipes, hamburger recipes, veggies, and so much more.
Trying to figure out what else you can do with all those fabulous tomatoes? Try one (or more!) of these 22 tempting tomato recipes!
Cooking Time1 hr 40 min
- 4 pounds ripe fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh sweet basil, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut tomatoes into small wedges and cook in enamel or stainless steel pan for 10 minutes over medium fire, until tomatoes are soft.
- Cool. Rub through strainer.
- Brown garlic in hot oil until golden.
- Add tomato pureé and seasonings.
- Cook, uncovered, until thick about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Makes enough for 1 pound of pasta (serves 6).
Read NextLow fat Linguine with Clam Sauce