Banana Oatmeal Waffles
If you love breakfast or brunch, these Banana-Oatmeal Waffles will be perfect for you! Get out your waffle iron because this is a recipe you won't be able to wait to make.
For more unbelievable breakfast recipes, click here!
Preparation Time15 min
Cooking Time20 min
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (not instant)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium-size ripe bananas, thinly sliced crosswise
- maple syrup or honey, for topping
- Preheat your waffle iron. Melt the butter; reserve.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and brown sugar.
- In another bowl, beat together the buttermilk and eggs with the whisk until well blended.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Mix in the banana slices and melted butter.
- Lightly butter or spray the grids of your iron, if needed. Brush or spray the grids again only if subsequent waffles stick.
- Spoon out a full 1/2 to 2/3 cup of batter (or a little more than the amount recommended by your waffler's manufacturer) onto the grids. This batter is thick and lumpy, so push and spread it to the edge of the grids with a metal spatula or wooden spoon. Close the lid and bake until golden and crisp. (It may need a little longer than other waffles because the batter is thick.)
- Serve the waffles immediately or keep them, in a single layer, on a rack in the preheated oven while you make the rest of the batch. Stir the batter between waffles to redistribute the banana slices.
Serve with maple syrup, honey or melted butter, or with a raspberry puree, a strawberry butter (mix 3 tablespoons of softened butter with 2 tablespoons of strawberry preserves), or some whipped cream cheese sprinkled with chopped pecans.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
More from "Pancakes and Waffles"
Pancakes and Waffles
Whip up an easy meal or special treat with these pancake recipes. Use your creativity with a basic pancake recipe or get fancy with a dutch baby pancake recipe.