For a truly spicy rendition of traditional middle eastern hummus, try this recipe for habanero hummus dip. When we say hot, we mean hot.
- 2 cans garbanzo beans (15 oz)
- 1 habanero chile, whole (or 1 tsp habanero powder)
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, seeded, skin removed
- 10 cloves garlic
- 10 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- cayenne or paprika
- olive oil
- Drain garbanzo beans, reserve liquid from one can.
- Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender, process till smooth.
- Add reserved liquid (or more olive oil) if hummus is too thick.
- Put into a serving dish, sprinkle with cayenne or paprika and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with toasted pita wedges or with vegetables.
- Yields 2 cups