Albondigas Meatball Soup
Here's another take on a classic soup, try this Albondigas-Meatball Soup. It's a wonderful meat soup recipe that many are sure to enjoy.
- 1 can (large) solid pack tomatoes
- 1 quart water
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 fresh green chile peppers
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt, cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork or pork sausage
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- Put tomatoes and water to boil.
- Saute garlic, one onion and one chopped, seeded chile in oil.
- Add chili powder and one half cup of soup water to vegetables.
- Stir until smooth and add to soup. Season with one quarter teaspoon oregano, salt Cayenne. Continue simmering.
- To make meat balls, combine meat, other onion, other chile pepper, seeded and chopped, one quarter tsp oregano, salt, corn meal, and eggs.
- Mix by hand for at least 10 minutes until everything is incorporated.
- Gently pat out the albondigas the size of walnuts (and fill with desired fillings - a stuffed green olive, a wedge of boiled egg or chopped nuts) and drop into soup.
- Cook for another hour. Serve soup in large bowls with toasted French bread and fresh salsa.
Read NextChi Chi's Chicken Chimis