Italian Baked Hamburgers with Cheese
For a delicious, fun spin on a traditional homemade hamburger recipe, these Italian baked hamburgers with cheese are outstanding! Most often known as calzones, they give new meaning to awesome flavor!
Cooking Time30 min
- 2 loaves of pizza dough or thawed frozen bread dough
- 1/2 pound ground beef (ground round or other low fat ground beef)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup dried tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozerrella cheese
- 2 cups spinach (wash it and cook it; chop coarsely)
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon (or less) olive oil
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Refresh the tomatoes in hot water and chop them.
- Crush and sauté garlic in olive oil.
- Add the ground beef. Cook. Drain off excess oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Take each loaf of pizza dough or bread dough and cut it into 4 pieces.
- Pat, roll or stretch each piece into a 6-9" circle.
- Be sure to keep all filling at least 1/4" from the edge or else you will have trouble sealing them. Place 1-2 tablespoons of meat on half of the dough.
- Add some tomato bits and spinach.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of cheese and a bit of Parmesan.
- Dip your fingers into warm water.
- Wet the edge of the dough.
- Stretch half of the dough over the filling and press the edges to seal.
- Either use your fingers or a fork to seal them, or you can roll the bottom edge up over the top edge, twisting them together like a rope around the edge. This method in slightly more time consuming, but the calzones generally don't leak.
- Place calzones on a baking sheet that has been greased or covered with cornmeal. Let them rise in a warm place for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush calzones lightly with oil.
- Bake 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
More from "Italian Recipes"
Peruse our collection of Italian recipes, from easy Italian green beans to the more complicated Italian Garnished Artichoke Hearts and more!