Peppermint Candy Cane Cookies
Use peppermints to give these cookies real candy-cane flavor. The kids'll go crazy for this ultra-sweet dessert!
Cooking Time9 min
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food color
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix thoroughly butter, shortening, confectioners' sugar, egg and flavorings.
- Blend in flour and salt. Divide dough in half, blend food coloring into one half.
- Shape 1 teaspoon dough from each half into 4" rope.
- For smooth even ropes, roll them back and forth on lightly floured board. Place ropes side by side.
- Press together lightly and twist. Complete cookies one at a time.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet. Curve top down to form handle of cane.Bake about 9 minutes or until set and very light brown.
- Mix candy and granulated sugar. Immediately sprinkle cookies with candy mixture. Remove from baking sheet. Or replace almond and vanilla extracts with 2 teaspoons peppermint extract. Eliminate candy sprinkle after cooking.