Grilled Shrimp with Red Chile Pesto
If you like grilled shrimp, you'll love this zippy rendition made with ancho chiles. It's tangy and spicy, and is one of the yummiest shrimp grilling recipes around.
Cooking Time5 min
- 20 large shrimp, shelled and deveined, about 1 1/4 pounds
- 5 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 dried ancho chiles
- 8 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Rub shrimp with the 5 tablespoons of oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill over wood or charcoal, or broil in oven, 2 1/2 minutes on each side.
- Serve with red chile pesto.
Red Chile Pesto — Prepare this before cooking the shrimp
- Place anchos in bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand 30 minutes to overnight, then drain well.
- Remove seeds and stems from chiles.
- Puree flesh in food processor with garlic and cilantro.
- Add pumpkin seeds and lime juice.
- Process until well mixed.
- Continue processing and slowly add the 1/2 cup of the olive oil until emulsifled.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes about 1 cup.