Almond Skordalia Potato, Almond & Garlic Dip
Almond Skordalia Potato, Almond, Garlic Dip is a diverse and tasty blend of Mediterranean flavors - and it's not even the main course! Serve this with pita bread at your next party.
- 5 bread (about 5 slices), firm homemade-style bread
- 1/2 cup whole blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 or 3 large garlic cloves, put through a garlic press (about 1 teaspoon puree)
- 1 small (about 3 ounces) potato, peeled, boiled until soft, and drained
- 3 lemon juice
- 3 white-wine vinegar
- 2 extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1. Trim the crusts from the bread and spread the slices out on a tray to dry for about 24 hours. In the container of a food processor, place the almonds, garlic, and cooled potato. Process until smooth.
2. Mix the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and sugar in a small bowl and set aside. Fill a large bowl with cool water. Drop the dried bread into the water, 1 slice at a time. When it is soaked, squeeze about half the water from the bread between the palms of your hands. Add the bread to the ingredients in the processor, alternating with the lemon-juice mixture, and process until smooth.
3. Since the Skordalia has a tendency to stiffen and become pasty as it chills, the mixture should be quite loose at this point. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Scrape the mixture into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for several hours to allow the flavors to mellow and blend. If the mixture seems too stiff, beat in a little water before serving. Yields about 1 1/2 cups
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Apr 07, 2016
I get bored with the same old flavors and love to try new, bold, ethnic recipes, so this one caught my attention! I've never had a mashed potato based dip! The other ingredients should give it lots of flavor. How unique!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use