Classic French Vanilla Ice Cream
French Vanilla Ice Cream is a great pairing for your patriotic desserts this Fourth of July. To complete the theme this year, make sure you have pure white ice cream to compliment your lovely red and blue creations. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups light cream
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 8 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the milk and cream.
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise. Scrape the seeds into the milk and cream.
- Scald the milk, cream, and vanilla bean halves in the top of a double boiler.
- Remove vanilla bean.
- Blend the egg yolks with the sugar and salt. Stir in some of the scalded milk and return to the mixture in the double boiler.
- Cook stirring until thick (the mixture will coat a metal spoon).
- Remove from the hot water and cool quickly in cold water, stirring occasionally.
- Chill thoroughly. Freeze in a hand cranked or electric freezer.