Recipes from My Home Kitchen Review
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Provided by Rodale Books
Reviewed by Jordan Sward
If you caught MasterChef Season 3 on FOX, you got to see Christine Ha create one stunning dish after another to earn the winning title. The chef, who tragically lost her eyesight in her twenties, learned to cook using her heightened senses of taste, touch, smell, and sound. In her cookbook Recipes from My Home Kitchen: Asian and American Comfort Food, Ha highlights comfort foods of her Asian heritage and American upbringing, from My Mama's Chicken Noodle Soup to Humble Apple Pie and more.
Although I love Asian food, I've always been somewhat intimidated to make the dishes I've eaten at restaurants. As I flipped through Recipes from My Home Kitchen, I was excited to see a bunch of recipes with simple techniques and inexpensive ingredients. Ha takes American classics and gives them a Southeast Asian twist. The second chapter of the book called A Bowl of Comfort includes recipes for Vietnamese soups and rices, as well as American soups like clam chowder. For those who want to try their hand at a new cuisine, but still stick to ingredients they know, this cookbook creates the perfect balance.
The book includes stories about Ha's childhood and her time on MasterChef, as well as tips and definitions of various techniques and dishes. Sitting down to read the book is entertaining, inspiring, and super helpful! For example, she includes a secret tip on how to make perfect mashed potatoes, Pasta 101 techniques, the secret to light and crispy deep-frying, reasons why to use a wok, simple ingredient substitutions, and much more.
One of my favorite chapters is the Food for Casual Gatherings chapter. The dishes in this chapter are meant for entertaining, and they're a way to get friends and family together at the dinner table. The photos for Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple Skewers and Pork Belly "Sliders" are mouthwatering, and they're both recipes that are super easy to make. The side dishes chapter includes recipes like Cowboy Corn on the Cob, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli-Rice Casserole, and more. Each recipe looks better than the last. Finally, for the desserts, a mix of classic recipes like Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are followed by fun new recipes like Ginger-Coconut Tuiles.
Recipes from My Home Kitchen is the perfect combination of some dishes that are unique and some classic dishes, which are all easy to prepare and don't require super fancy ingredients. Just like she did on MasterChef, Christine Ha puts her cooking expertise to good use in this book. It's a joy to read and great to use as a go-to cookbook for all kinds of recipes, so you can cook like a Master Chef at home!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
If you're looking for a dish that's packed with protein and is super easy to make, look no further than this recipe for Slow Cooked… Continue reading: "Slow Cooked Southern Steakvideocam"
- RecipeLion's 103 Cookbooks
- Retro Recipes from the ‘50s and ‘60s: 103 Vintage Appetizers, Dinners, and Drinks Everyone Will Love
- RecipeLion's Dinner and Cookie Cookbooks
- Easy Chicken Recipes: 103 Inventive Soups, Salads, Casseroles, and Dinners Everyone Will Love
- Easy Cookie Recipes: 103 Best Recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies, Cake-Mix Creations, Bars, and Holiday Treats Everyone Will Love RecipeLion Cookbook
- No-Bake Desserts: 103 Easy Recipes for No-Bake Cookies, Bars, and Treats RecipeLion Cookbook
- Essential Slow Cooker Recipes: 103 Fuss-Free Slow Cooker Meals Everyone Will Love
- Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Family Favorites Cookbook Review
- Bake It Like You Mean It Review
- Savory Bites Review
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Chicken Drumsticks With Puff Pastry
- Quick Peanut Chutney
- Chettinad Chicken Chops Recipe
- Low Carb Spanakopita Recipe (low Carb Spinach Quiche)
- Keto Feta And Spinach Omelette For Egg Haters
- Keto Chocolate Truffles Recipe (healthy Keto Bliss Balls Low Carb)
- Chettinad Crab Masala
- Madurai Mutton Kheema Kari Dosa
- Healthy Creamy Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Chicken And Dumpling Soup
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes