Little Old Lady Recipes Review
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Provided by Quirk Books
Reviewed by Jordan Sward
When I think of little old lady recipes, I think of timeless, comforting dishes that are made with a few simple ingredients. Those are exactly the kind of recipes in Little Old Lady Recipes, along with an added dose of quirky kitchen wisdom from women. As soon as I read the back of the book, I knew it was going to not only be a useful collection of recipes, but also a uniquely entertaining cookbook.
The recipes in this cookbook are simple, no-frills recipes that are "made with love and lots of lard." As the book says, "Ditch the food processor, stop wasting money on overpriced organic frozen dinners, and start enjoying the classic dishes that our aunties and grandmothers have made for generations." From buttermilk biscuits, to goulash and classic meat loaf, to a whole bunch of cakes and pies, this book is full of easy-to-follow recipes. They're all church supper-type recipes that would be great to bring to a potluck or serve for a family dinner. These are the type of recipes that you commit to memory and make when you just want a homemade meal that's sure to hit the spot every time.
My favorite part of the book is the Kitchen Table Wisdom. Funny advice from little old ladies is sprinkled throughout the book, along with beautiful photos of the women in their homes. For example, one piece of advice came from Chastity, a 72-year-old deli clerk. "Club soda is a wonderful thing. You can use it to remove any stain, or mix it with gin and drink until you don't care about the stain anymore." Other women give everyday advice, as well as some cooking advice like how to use old stockings to store onions. The little old lady quotes had me laughing out loud, and who wouldn't love a little humor while cooking dinner?
The combination of vintage recipes and hilarious quotes makes this cookbook one I'd want to leave out on the kitchen or coffee table. The kinds of recipes in the book remind me of my grandmother's cooking - comforting and always delicious. Plus, little old ladies are known to make some of the best desserts in the world. Anyone who's a fan of budget-friendly, easy recipes that use ingredients you probably already have on hand will love the recipes in the book.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
If you've ever had a king ranch chicken casserole before, you'll have an idea of what this soup is all about. It's basically just a… Continue reading: "The King of Chicken Soupsvideocam"
- RecipeLion's 103 Cookbooks
- Retro Recipes from the ‘50s and ‘60s: 103 Vintage Appetizers, Dinners, and Drinks Everyone Will Love
- Homemade Soup Recipes: 103 Easy Recipes for Soups, Stews, Chilis, and Chowders Everyone Will Love
- Essential Slow Cooker Recipes: 103 Fuss-Free Slow Cooker Meals Everyone Will Love
- Everyday Dinner Ideas: 103 Easy Recipes for Chicken, Pasta, and Other Dishes Everyone Will Love RecipeLion Cookbook
- RecipeLion's Dinner and Cookie Cookbooks
- Addie's 4th of July Survival Guide eBook
- No-Bake Desserts: 103 Easy Recipes for No-Bake Cookies, Bars, and Treats RecipeLion Cookbook
- Family Favorite Casserole Recipes: 103 Comforting Breakfast Casseroles, Dinner Ideas, and Desserts Everyone Will Love RecipeLion Cookbook
- Addie's Favorite Fall Recipes eBook
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Baked Lemon Chicken
- Country-style Spanish Potato Omelette
- Dalgona Style Whipped Strawberry Topping
- Frozen Chocolate-covered Bananas
- Instant Pot Fruit Loops Rainbow Bundt Cake
- The Easiest Banana Bread Recipe
- Easy Homemade Ramen Recipe
- Cherry Chip Cake Mix Cookies
- Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
- 2 Ingredient Fudge
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes