A Family Favorite: Pollo En Pina (Guatemalan Chicken in Pineapple)
Try this Guatemalan recipe for a unique twist on chicken. The pineapple will add a sweetness that is delicious. You might even get the kids to eat it.
- 4 pounds chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 inch piece of stick cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- Ground black pepper
- Chicken stock
- Put chicken pieces into a heavy skillet or casserole. (If using fresh pineapple, be careful and save all the juice. If using canned pineapple, use the juice).
- Add all the rest of the ingredients, including salt and pepper to taste. (If using fresh pineapple it may be necessary to add chicken stock to cover the chicken pieces as the fresh fruit will not have as much juice as the canned).
- Cover and simmer over low heat until tender, about 45 minutes. If the sauce is very abundant, cook partially covered for the last 15 minutes. Serve with rice.