California Hangtown Fry
A true American classic, this recipe for California Hangtown Fry is a breakfast lover's delight! With 8 strips of peppered bacon, 8 eggs, and a dozen fresh oysters, this decadent dish is king among bacon and egg recipes.
- 8 thick slices of peppered bacon
- 1/2 cup white cornmeal
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper, freshly ground (to taste)
- 12 fresh oysters, drained
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- parsley leaves, chopped (for garnish)
- In a large, heavy skillet, fry the bacon slowly over moderately low heat until crisp, drain on paper towels, and crumble. Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon of fat from the skillet and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, and pepper and mix until well blended. Dip the oysters into the cornmeal, coat lightly, and transfer to a plate. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, and Tabasco and set aside.
- Add the butter to the fat in the skillet and melt over moderate heat. Add the oysters and cook until they begin to curl, about 1 minute on each side. Add the egg mixture and bacon, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the edges are set, about 2 minutes. Lift the edges with a fork and tilt the pan back and forth so the uncooked egg runs underneath. Continue to cook slowly just until the eggs are set, 3 to 4 minutes. Slide the fry onto a heated platter, garnish the edges with parsley, and serve hot in individual portions.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
More from "Egg Recipes"
Hundreds of quick and easy egg recipes and recipes using egg, including deviled egg recipes, egg salad recipes, egg dish recipes and recipes with egg whites.