Cinnamon-Chocolate Chip Scones
Scone recipes aren't just for breakfast and brunch. This European-style dessert recipe is ideal for late summer or early autumn after dinner. Enjoy these Cinnamon-Chocolate Chip Scones with a cup of iced or hot herbal tea.
Yields12 medium-large scones
Cooking Time15 min
- 2 1/2 cups 100% natural whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup European style butter (cold cubes)
- 3/4 cup 2% low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 brown egg
- 1/4 cup clover honey
- 1 cup all natural premium baking semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Organic raw sugar (as needed)
- 3/4 cup almonds, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and spice. Add chunks of butter, sliced in small squares.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, yogurt, egg and honey and stir. Combine wet ingredients with dry. Stir until a dough-like mixture forms. Fold in chips.
- Drop large spoonful of dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool.
- Glaze scones with mixture of 1/4 cup each melted butter and honey and top with almonds. Slice and spread with cream cheese or honey.
Read NextBuckeye Balls