- 8 ounces (225 g) bread, either brown or white, crusts removed
- 1/2 pint (10 fl oz, 275 ml) milk
- 2 ounces (50 g) butter, melted
- 3 ounces Soft brown sugar
- 2 Level teaspoons mixed spice (recipe below)
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 6 ounces (175 g) mixed fruit: currants, raisins, sultanas (golden raisins),
- candied peel
- Grated rind of half an orange
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 2-2 1/2 pint baking dish (1.25-1.5 litre). Break the bread into suitable-sized pieces and place them in a bowl. Pour over the milk, then give the mixture a good stir and leave for about 30 minutes so that the bread becomes well soaked with the milk. Now add the melted butter, sugar, mixed spice and beaten egg. Using a fork, beat the mixture well, making sure that no lumps remain, then stir in the mixed fruit and orange rind. Spread in the baking dish, sprinkle with nutmeg and bake for about 1 1/4 hours. Delicious hot or cold! Mixed Spice 1 Cinnamon stick (3"), broken in small pieces 2 1/2 tsp. Allspice berries 1 Tbsp. Whole cloves 2 tsp. Freshly grated nutmeg 1 Tbsp. Ground ginger Using a coffee grinder or blender, process cinnamon, allspice berries and cloves until very finely ground. Add to freshly grated nutmeg and ginger and mix well. Store in a small, airtight jar up to 3 months.
Read NextUnbelievable 5-Minute Pie
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use