Blueberry Lemon Country Cobbler
Simple dessert recipes are expected after a great dinner. Try Blueberry Lemon Country Cobbler for a wonderful treat. Made with blueberries, pears and zest of a lemon, this will become one of your favorites.
- For the Filling:
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 ripe medium pear, peeled, halved, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- For the Topping:
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat an 11 x 7 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and water in a large nonreactive saucepan. Stir until cornstarch is completely dissolved, then stir in berries and pears. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil 1 full minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of zest. Place fruit mixture in the baking pan.
- Combine flour, 2 tablspoons of sugar, and baking powder in medium bowl. Combine buttermilk, canola oil, egg white and remaining 1 teaspoon of zest in small bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, and stir until just blended.
- Spoon batter into eight small mounds on top of the filling.
- Mix remaining sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle on top of cobbler.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a wooden pick inserted into the topping comes out clean. Let stand 20 minutes to absorb flavors.
Read NextStrawberry Pretzel Salad