A Very Special Brown Betty
After a crisp autum day of apple picking, this sweet-and-tart brown betty is the perfect recipe to put those apples to good use.
Cooking Time50 min
- 10 medium tart apples, pared, cored, sliced (8 cups)
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Combine apples with juice, raisins, 1/2 cup honey, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Turn into an 11x 7.5x1.5 -inch baking pan.
- Combine oats, flour, wheat germ, sunflower kernels and butter and mix well; spread over the apple mixture.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
Read NextOreo Delight Recipe