Mexican Cole Slaw
This Mexican dish isn't spicy, but it does have quite the flavor. The slaw itself consists of only cabbage, onions and almonds, but the sauce gives it the necessary flavor for a satisfactory side dish.
For Lemon Vinaigrette:
- Put into a brocessor or blender, the juice of two lemons, 3/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (Mr. Mustard makes a good substitute) and 1 teaspoon paprika and whir until thoroughly blended.
- (You won't need all this dressing for the cole slaw, so put it into a jar and refrigerate) Now, pour about 1/2 of dressing over the salad and toss well.
- 1 medium cabbage
- 3/4 cup toasted chopped almonds
- 4 spring onions, medium
- Grate the cabbage into long thin strips and pile strips into a medium salad bowl.
- Mince the spring onion--both green and white parts and stir into the cabbage.
- Add the chopped almonds and Lemon Vinaigrette (below) and serve.