Chilled Cole Slaw
This recipe for chilled cole slaw is one of our best recipes for cabbage coleslaw. Delicious after being chilled, this slaw recipe is a perfect pick for a backyard barbecue.
- 1 head cabbage
- 3 carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 green onions (shallots), cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1 green pepper, cut in 2 inch chunks
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut cabbage into wedges to fit feed tube, discard core.
- Slice, using very light pressure and empty into large bowl.
- Cut carrots to fit feed tube crosswise; grate, using firm pressure. Add to cabbage.
- Drop shallots and garlic through feed tube while machine is running, process until minced.
- Add green papper and process with two or three very quick on/off turns, until chopped. Do not overprocess. Add to cabbage mixture.
- Combine ingredients for marinate in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pour hot marinade over coleslaw mixture and toss well. Transfer to large container with tight cover and refrigerate.