Swiss Onion and Chicken
Slow cooker chicken recipes are easy to find, but this Swiss onion and chicken one stands out from the crowd. Follow this excellent slow cooker recipe for a tasty meal that you won't soon forget.
Cooking Time10 hr
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 2 cups onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 8 slices day-old bread, cubed (8 cups)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- In skillet cook onion in butter till tender.
- Place 1/3 of the bread cubes into a greased 2 pound coffe can or 3 pound shortening can.
- Add half the onions, chicken, and cheese.
- Repeat layers ending with bread cubes. Press lightly, if necessary, to fit.
- Beat eggs, milk and salt together, pour over bread.
- Cover with foil, crimping edges to sides of can, set into slow cooker.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into cooker. Cover, cook on low-heat setting 8-10 hours.
- Remove from cooker, let stand 5-10 minutes.
- Loosen edges with spatula or knife. Carefully turn into a serving bowl. Garnish with snipped parsley.
Read NextSlow Cooked General Tso's Chicken