Beef and Vegetable Stew
This hearty beef and vegetable stew combines flavors for a wonderfully warm winter meal. The potatoes in this stew make this a filling dish and because it's made in a slow cooker, it's a super easy recipe.
- If you liked this beef stew recipe, you'll love our collection of 17 scrumptious beef stew recipes! Click here to get the whole collection.
- Looking for more terrific Irish food recipes? Check out our collection of Saint Patrick's Day Recipes: 8 Fresh Ideas for Dinner today!
Cooking Time8 hr
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 6 medium white potatoes (about 2 lbs) peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 pounds beef stew meat or chuckroast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can green bean, drained
- 1/2 bag frozen peas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, mix the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. Toss the beef with flour to coat evenly. Add to the slow cooker. Top with the beef broth and red wine, pepper and salt. Cover and cook on the high setting 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Reduce the heat setting to low and cook 7 hours longer, or until the beef is tender, stirring once or twice during cooking.
- Add the corn, beans and peas and cook for one more hour or until hot through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Jan 11, 2017
This looks like a yummy recipe and I would like to try it. I make my own beef stew which does seem far simpler. I add 1 can of tomato and onion mix, I pkt tomato paste and beef broth to the beef cubes. I add in a few sliced up carrots. The canned tomato and onion mix makes more liquid. When I am ready to eat it, I thicken the gravy with a bit of cornstarch and serve over rice. It is really nice and tasty. I will post my slow cooker recipe here soon once I have made some but this recipe has now inspired me.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use