Apple Raisin Whole Wheat Stuffing
Don't let bread go to waste! This stuffing makes great use of that loaf you can't seem to get rid of, and if you use whole wheat bread as the recipe calls for, you can save yourself a considerable amount of calories.
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 6 cups whole-wheat bread, cubed
- 1 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 apples, unpeeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery, sliced thin
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper, freshly ground
1. If the bread is not stale, spread the slices out on a rack or counter for half a day to dry them out. Then cut into cubes.
2. Combine the bread cubes with the remaining ingredients. Stuff the turkey or bake in a covered oven-proof dish for about 40 minutes at 325 degrees F (or whatever temperature you are using for your turkey) or put into Crockpot and cook on high for 2 hours, then low for 4 hours.