The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
How to Boil Perfect Eggs
Learn how to boil eggs with exactly the yolk you crave. This simple article guarantees perfect boiled eggs every time!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
When it comes to making hard-boiled eggs, there are a few tips to avoid green yolks and hard-to-peel shells. With these step-by-step instructions, you can learn how to make perfect boiled eggs every time! It's so easy that once you learn how to make them, you'll never need to look at instructions again. Whether you're making deviled eggs, planning an Easter brunch, or simply boiling eggs for breakfast, follow these instructions to achieve perfect boiled eggs that are easy to peel and have perfect yellow yolks!
The key to hard-boiled eggs that are easy to peel is using eggs that you purchased a week to 10 days ago. Adding salt to the boiling water is thought to make the eggs easier to peel and prevent cracking while boiling. The cooking time may vary depending on how hard or soft you prefer the yolks.
What You Need:
12 eggs (several days old recommended)
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
Large saucepan, at least twice as tall as eggs
1. Gently place eggs in the bottom of a saucepan in a single layer.
2. Fill the pan with cold water to completely cover the eggs by about one inch of water.
3. Place the pot, uncovered, on a burner and turn it on high. Let the water come to a boil.
4. Once the water comes to a full boil, remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 9 to 12 minutes. The longer you let the eggs stand, the harder the yolks will be cooked.
5. After the time is up, strain the hot water out of the pan and fill it back up with cold water. Add ice cubes to the water and wait until the eggs have cooled enough to handle. OR transfer to eggs to a bowl of pre-made ice-water bath.
6. Next, remove eggs from ice-water bath, place in a bowl, and peel. Eggs may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Other Tips for Boiling the Perfect Eggs
• For runny soft-boiled eggs (barely set whites): 3 minutes
• For slightly runny soft-boiled eggs: 4 minutes
• For custard-like yet firm soft-boiled eggs: 6 minutes
• For firm yet still creamy hard-boiled eggs: 10 minutes
• For very firm hard-boiled eggs: 15 minutes
*Each of these times should be for how long eggs are boiling in a covered pot.
Storage: Refrigerate any unused eggs, still in their shells, within 2 hours. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
How to Use Up Eggs: 34 Clever Ideas and Recipes
How to Boil Perfect Eggs
How to Use Up Spinach: 41 Smart Ideas and Recipes
What to do with Fresh Picked Strawberries: 19 Delectable Recipes and Ideas
How to Make Jiffy Cornbread Moist
How to Make the Best Amish Pie, Plus 18 More Free Amish Recipes
Homemade Buttermilk Substitute
How to Store Cut Onions
How To Make a Chipotle-Style Burrito Bowl at Home
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- No Yeast Pizza Dough
- Citrus Vinaigrette
- Perfect Brown Rice (Baked Brown Rice)
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars
- Pineapple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Sweet and Salty Homemade Coconut Popcorn
- Spelt Flour and Pecan Nuts Delights
- Dump-and-Bake Smothered Round Steak
- Superb Salmon, Pesto and Asparagus Bake
- Miso Tahini Shiitake Mushroom Spaghetti
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes