Cranberry Snowdrift Bars
When it's snowing outside there is no better way to warm up the house and the heart than with baking great holiday recipes for the family. Cranberry Snowdrift Bars are great for that little sweet-tooth in the family and for the holiday season.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Filling and Topping:
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce, not jellied
- 2 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour and salt together in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar gradually, beating on high speed until light and fluffy. This may take as long as 8 minutes. Do not rush; mixture should be almost white in color. Beat in vanilla.
- Add about one-third of flour and mix on low speed. Gradually add remaining flour, mixing just until blended.
- Pat crust in an even layer in baking pan. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight. Wash and dry beaters of mixer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake crust until completely dry to touch and a pale golden brown, about 40 minutes. The edges will be a bit darker. Place pan on rack to cool 5 minutes, then spread cranberry sauce evenly over crust using a small offset spatula or back of a spoon.
- To make topping, whip egg whites until foamy in a medium clean, grease- free bowl with mixer on high speed.
- Add cream of tartar and whip until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar gradually, whipping until stiff but not dry peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Spread meringue evenly over cranberry layer. Use back of a teaspoon to make peaks and swirls in meringue.
- Bake until meringue is a light golden brown, about 25 minutes. Place pan on rack to cool. Cut into 20 bars (4 x 5).
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
More from "Christmas Recipes"
For many of us, Christmas means delicious food. Browse our selection of yummy Christmas recipes and savor the tastes of the season.