Nicole's Buche de Noel
A holiday coffee cake recipe that can be made year round. Ice cream is a perfect compliment to this delicious coffee cake recipe. Bring it to your co-workers and they will love you for it.
- This is a very good recipe for a vertical layer cake.
- After the cake has cooled cut it into 3 3-1/2" wide strips. Fill then roll in one continous strip, turn sideways so you have a 3-1/2" high cake. Frost as usual.
- This looks like a regular 2 layer cake until you cut into it.
- If you like this coffee cake recipe, be sure to check out our full collection of the 14 best coffee cake recipes.
Cooking Time12 min
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Line jelly-roll pan with waxed paper and grease.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl; set aside.
- In separate bowl beat eggs until thick and creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly until mixture is very thick. Stir in coffee and vanilla.
- Fold in flour mixture.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake at 375F degrees for 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle kitchen towel with powdered sugar, invert cake onto towel, remove waxed paper and roll cake and towel jelly roll fashion. Cool.
- When cake has cooled unroll, spread with filling, reroll.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Beat cream until stiff.
- Add instant coffee and powdered sugar.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup strong coffee
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 4 egg yolks
- Melt chocolate chips with coffee over hot, not boiling water. Cool.
- Beat butter in small bowl until light and fluffy. Beat corn syrup and egg yolks into butter. Stir in cooled chocolate mixture.
Read Next1950s Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake