Chocolate Cinnamon Angel Food Cake
Chocolate and cinnamon may seem like an odd combination until you taste them in this light, fluffy cake. Make this for a party, for your Valentine or just because.
- 1 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- Bring egg whites to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, sift flour, cocoa, powdered sugar, and cinnamon together three times. Set aside.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a larger bowl if needed.
- Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over the beaten egg whites. Fold in gently. Repeat, folding in the remaining flour mixture in fourths.
- Pour into ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake on the lowest rack in the oven at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until the top springs back when touched.
- Immediately invert cake (leave in pan); cool thoroughly. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove.
Read NextHoly Cow Poke Cake