Fresh Tomato White Chili
- 3 lg fresh tomatoes (1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 tb vegetable oil
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 4 ounces can mild green chilies
- 1 ts minced garlic
- 1 ts ground cumin
- 1 ts oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 ts sugar
- 1/8 ts ground cloves
- 1/8 ts ground red pepper
- 14 1/2 ounces can chicken broth
- 15 ounces can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 c cooked, cubed chicken
Core and coarsely chop tomatoes (makes about 4 cups); set aside. In a large saucepan, heat oil until hot. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in chilies, garlic, cumin, oregano, sugar, cloves, red pepper and the 4 cups reserved tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are softened, about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth; bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer, covered, to blend flavors, about 15 minutes. Add beans and chicken; cook until hot, about 5 minutes. Garnish with sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, and chopped cilantro, if desired.
Read NextJohnny Cash Chili
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use