Blazing Squash Chili
This Blazing Squash Chili is so packed full of hot spice and aroma you're likely to burst from the flavor. Make this butternut squash recipe today if you think you can handle it!
Cooking Time42 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium red peppers, deseeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- pinch crushed red chilli flakes
- 2 800 g cans tomatoes, chopped with juice
- 125 milliliters dry red wine
- 2 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
- 1 orange, zest only
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 425g cans red kidney beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, and peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, allspice, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring to coat the vegetables well with the spices.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, the red wine, butternut squash, orange zest, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste. Fold in the kidney beans and simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Just before serving, stir in the coriander leaves and parsley. Served garnished with the spring onions.
Read NextLeftover Turkey White Chili