Mom's Chicken and Dumplings
Mom's Chicken and Dumplings is home-cooked comfort food at its finest. This easy chicken and dumplings recipe is just like mom used to make, with a thick, creamy sauce and pillowy dumplings that just about melt in your mouth.
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 6 chicken legs
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heat-resistant casserole over medium heat, melt margarine. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and cook until well browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- To pan drippings, add onion and cook until soft. Blend in flour and cook, stirring, until bubbly.
- Gradually pour in broth and wine, and continue cooking and stirring until sauce boils and thickens. Add salt, pepper, 2 cups milk, and chicken.
- Bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven (or cover and simmer over low heat on stove) for 50 minutes. Skim off and discard fat.
- Mix Bisquick with poppy seeds; stir in 2/3 cup milk until evenly moistened.
- Drop dumpling batter onto hot chicken in 6 mounds. Cook, uncovered, on stovetop over medium heat for 10 minutes. Then cover and cook for 10 more minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Serve immediately.