Grandma's Favorite Mexican Chicken Casserole
This easy casserole recipe is chock full of chicken, cheese, green chilies, salsa and tortillas... no wonder it's grandma's favorite! You may think of grandma's cooking as traditional and slightly boring, but this chicken recipe will make you think again. A little bit zesty and a whole lot delicious, this Mexican-inspired casserole dish is a great way to change up your weeknight dining routine. Stop serving the same old chicken casserole recipes time and time again. Make a Mexican version of the classic chicken casserole and surprise your family with tons of great flavors!
- This recipe makes enough for 7 casseroles. For a recipe that makes 1 casserole, try Family-Sized Mexican Chicken Casserole.
- If you like this chicken casserole recipe, you will love our free Quick and Easy Chicken Casserole Recipe eCookbook. Download your copy free now!
- LIke this recipe? Be sure to download the Free 27 Simple Mexican Recipes eCookbook today!
- 9 Awesome Mexican Casserole Recipes features this recipe and eight other delicious Mexican casserole recipes. Check it out if you're looking for some great Mexican casserole recipes!
Cooking Time1 hr
Cooking MethodCasserole, Slow Cooker
- 12 cups chicken, cooked and diced
- 12 cups Monterey Jack, shredded
- 6 cups chopped green chilies, canned
- 1 quart sour cream
- 4 cans cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups salsa
- 48 corn tortillas
- 7 cups grated cheese
- In a large bowl, mix chicken, jack cheese, chilis, sour cream, soup, and salsa.
- In a 5 quart round container layer the tortillas with the mixture. Use 1 tortilla, then 1 generous cup of mixture, then tortilla; and press down. Repeat till the mixture is gone, ending with tortillas.
- Divide the cheddar into 7 portions, put into baggies, and place one on top of each casserole.
- At serving time, pop the casserole out of the container, place in an oven-proof casserole dish, top with the grated cheddar, and bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes, till hot and bubbly throughout. Or, you may place in a slow cooker.