No Pasta Lasagna
Instead of using noodles, use zucchini in this great casserole recipe! No Pasta Lasagna contains all of the ingredients that you adore in your lasagna, but with no noodles. Add spicy Italian sausage if you are looking for an extra kick.
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 pound bacon, chopped
- 3 pounds zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 13 by 9 inch glass baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion for 5 to 7 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté for 5 minutes. Stir into tomato sauce mixture.
- In the same skillet, over medium-high heat, cook beef, sausage and bacon, breaking beef and sausage up with the back of a spoon, for 8 to 10 minutes or until beef and sausage are no longer pink and bacon is cooked. Drain off fat.
- Arrange one-third of the zucchini slices in bottom of prepared baking dish as if they were lasagna noodles. Top with one-third of the ricotta. Sprinkle with one-third of the basil. Layer with one-third each of the beef mixture, tomato sauce mixture, mozzarella and Parmesan. Repeat layers twice, ending with cheese.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is browned. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Read NextCheesy Potato Casserole