Funny name, fantastic flavor! This is not your typical beef stew recipe, but it sure is good. With 3 different meats (chicken, beef, and pork), it's sure to please a whole slew of family and friends. Make up a big batch today!
- During cooking, it will be necessary to add water to keep meats and vegetables covered.
- If you liked this beef stew recipe, you'll love our collection of 17 scrumptious beef stew recipes! Click here to get the whole collection.
Cooking Time4 hr 30 min
- 5 pounds stewing chicken, cut up
- 1 1/2 pound beef stew meat
- 1/4 pound lean pork, cubed
- 1/2 pound dried Navy beans, soaked overnight
- 1/2 pound split green peas
- 2 cups canned whole tomatoes
- 4 cups diced carrots
- 2 1/2 cups diced onions
- 3 cups diced celery
- 1/2 lemon, peeled and cut into pieces
- 8 cups diced potatoes
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put cut-up chicken, beef and pork in a large soup kettle.
- Cover with cold water.
- Slowly bring to a boil.
- Skim, then simmer 1 hour.
- Add drained Navy beans, green peas, tomatoes, carrots, onions, celery and lemon.
- Cook about 3 hours.
- Add potatoes, cabbage, butter, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
Read NextCheesy One Pot Hamburger Casserole