Beefy Tortilla Casserole
This award winning casserole recipe will win your seal of approval after you take your first bite of its Tex-Mex goodness. Spices and cheese make this simple casserole taste unbelievably great.
Trying to figure out what else you can do with all those fabulous tomatoes? Try one (or more!) of these 22 tempting tomato recipes!
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 to 6 cilantro sprigs
- 1 cup olives, chopped
- 1 pound tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cup enchilada sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 pound cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup corn chips, crushed
- Brown ground chuck; drain any excess fat.
- Add onion, garlic and bell pepper; cook until soft.
- Cut tomatoes into chunks and add to beef mixture, including liquid. Add enchilada sauce, chili powder, cumin and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Grease a 3-quart casserole. Steam (or fry) tortillas. Put approx. 1/3 of the meat mixture in the casserole dish followed by a layer of tortillas, cheese and olives. Repeat twice.
- Sprinkle crushed corn chips around the edges and bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into wedges.
Read NextUltimate King Ranch Casserole