Asparagus Cheese Casserole
As quick easy casserole recipes go, this asparagus cheese casserole is a doozy! It's definitely quick, and the whole family is sure to love the cheesy goodness. Yum!
Cooking Time30 min
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 10 1/2 ounces frozen asparagus spears, cooked and drained
- 2 large eggs, hard-cooked, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup minced blanched almonds
- 1 cup soft white bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan set over moderate heat, melt the butter. Spoon 4 teaspoons of the melted butter into a bowl. Set aside.
- Blend the flour, salt, pepper and mace into the rest of the butter and let it sit over low heat for 1-to-2 minutes.
- Add the milk and cream and cook the sauce, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, until it has become thick and smooth.
- In a well-buttered, 2-quart casserole, alternate layers of the asparagus, eggs, Cheddar cheese and almonds.
- Pour the cream sauce over the layers.
- Combine the reserved butter, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and scatter the topping over the surface of the casserole.
- Bake the uncovered casserole for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the topping is tipped with brown.