Irish Black Ginger Cake
This unique ginger cake is loaded with flavor from molasses, coffee and spices like cinnamon, cloves and ginger. This cake is so tasty it doesn't even need frosting, but if you're craving a sweet topping, try a coffee icing.
Cooking Time1 hr
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup hot strong freshly brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square of 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. In a large bowl, beat the egg into the molasses, then add to the butter mixture. Sift together the flour, spices, and salt, then fold into the butter mixture.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the hot coffee, then add it to the batter. Beat vigorously until well blended.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Read NextStrawberry Poke Cake
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Jun 09, 2010
This cake was excellent! Had lots of blackstrap molasses left over from another recipe and discovered this one. Very moist and not too sweet. Used a Cardamom coffee icing from another recipe and was perfect. Will definitely make again.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use