Parents, it is alright- feel free to serve this cake to your underage kids. Guinness is rich and heavy with a hint of chocolate and that's all the flavor you get in this wonderful cake. Guinness is one of the best beers to flavor any of your desserts and this Guinness Cake is proof of that.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/4 cups flour, self rising
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- pinch salt
- 2/3 cup raisins; soaked in Guinness overnight
- 1/2 cup candied peel; soaked
- 1 1/3 cup golden raisins; soaked
- 1/4 cup candied cherries
- 8 ounces Guinness or other dark beer
Yield: 8 servings.
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Cream the butter and sugar until the sugar is dissolved; beat in the eggs.
3) Add the flour, salt, apple pie spice and the soaked dried fruit.
4) Mix in the Guinness, grease a deep 8 inch cake pan and pour the mixture in.
5) Bake for about 2 hours until firm in the center.