Cranberry Pear Upside Down Cake
Cranberries, pears, oh my! This delicious cake recipe is made with fresh fruit and honey for a mouthwatering dessert that will become your guilty pleasure. Baked upside down so the top has a delicious caramelized layer, it's simply heavenly.
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 can pear halves in juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup cranberries
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup rye or regular flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9-inch round pan.
- In pan, stir brown sugar, margarine and lemon juice. Spread evenly over bottom.
- Drain pears, reserving one cup of juice. Cut in half lengthwise. Place on top of brown sugar with rounded sides down, arranging like spokes of a wheel.
- Scatter cranberries in single layer around pears.
- In medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk sugar, honey, oil, egg whites, lemon rind, lemon juice and pear juice together until well blended.
- Add half flour mixture to liquid. Stir just to blend.
- Add remaining flour and blend, being careful not to overmix. Scrape into pan, spreading evenly over fruit. Bake 30-35 minutes.
- Place pan upright to cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto serving plate. Serve warm.