Austrian Coffee Cake
Austrian Coffee Cake is a very popular coffee cake recipe in Austria. The cake soaks in a coffee/brandy mixture overnight, which really brings out the flavors and makes this cake come alive. Top with toasted almonds to make it complete. Now, you don't have to visit Austria in order to enjoy this yummy coffee cake. Make it in the comfort of your own kitchen and serve it at your next brunch. Don't have one coming up? Then plan one!
If you like this coffee cake recipe, be sure to check out our full collection of the 14 best coffee cake recipes.
Cooking Time30 min
- 6 ounces butter/margarine
- 6 ounces caster sugar
- 6 ounces self raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 pint strong dark coffee
- sugar, to taste
- rum or brandy, to taste
- 1/2 pint double cream
- toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream butter, add sugar, cream together until light and fluffy add the eggs, beat together thoroughly.
- Sieve flour and salt into bowl add the creamed mixture folding in gently.
- Put into a greased ring mould and bake at 375 degrees F (Gas Mark 5 or 190C) for 25-30 minutes. Turn out and allow to cool.
- To the coffee, add sugar and rum or brandy to taste.
- Replace cake in ring mould, pour over coffee and leave to soak overnight.
- Turn out and decorate with cream and nuts.